Activities & Excursions to your heart’s content
At Tshukudu Game Lodge we have enough to keep you busy during your safari, but we would be amiss if we didn’t mention that there are many activities in the area that are perfect for those with wanderlust. We have decided to break it down for you should you be interested in spreading your wings for a day or two on your next safari vacation.
For the “NOT so faint of heart”
If adventure /danger is your middle name, then these activities are perfect for you:
· Scenic Flight – Take a flip on the wild side, so to speak. Get the perfect view over our perfect piece of the earth from a small aircraft, piloted by a qualified instructor.
· Hot Air Balloon Flight – If you don’t suffer from Vertigo and would like a bird’s eye view, then these tranquil balloon trips are for you. Experience Hoedspruit & the majestic Drakensberg from the air.
· Hoedspruit Reptile Centre (formerly Kinyonga) – If creepy crawlies are what you are into, then this is the perfect place for you. Learn about spiders, snakes and other reptiles…at a safe distance.
· Blyde Canyon Adventures – From adventures on land, on the water and in the air, you will be sure to get your adrenaline rush fix with these guys. They also do a very tranquil Boat cruise…just saying.
For the “Better safe than sorry”
Most guests that are new to the whole safari experience prefer to keep danger at an arm’s length. Don’t worry ye of little faith, there is plenty to do where you are sure to keep your life and sanity. Herewith our top picks:
· Kruger National Park – Undoubtedly one of the most visited spots where you can self-drive your way into a herd of Elephant. And if you just want to sit back and relax, choose one of the dozens of safari operators who will take you into the park and show you the ins and outs.
· Moholoholo Rehab Centre – This rehabilitation center is the perfect place to learn about animals and contributing towards their wellbeing. From vultures, to lions and the infamous Stoffel (Honey Badger).
· Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre – This facility is one of the reasons why Cheetah are creeping off the extinction list. A must for animal lovers who want to see the animals up close and personal.
· Nyani Cultural Village – Experience traditional Shangaan culture by visiting this ethnic village. You will be treated with tribal dances, a tour of the village and delicious traditional cuisine.
For the “Happy snappers”
We literally live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and have enough scenery, views & animals to fill up your camera’s memory card ten times over. If you are looking to capture post card perfect photos, then you simply HAVE to visit these places:
· Panorama Route – Truly one of SA’s most spectacular routes offering destinations like the Mac Waterfalls, Burke’s Luck Potholes & God’s Window. For heaven’s sake, the names say it all.
· Warren Carrey Gallery – Not to take pictures but to browse extraordinary art by local artists. If you are in town long enough, you may even attend an art class by the master himself, Warren Carrey.
For the “Aspiring chefs”
We did not forget about the guests who are adventurous, culinary wise. South Africa is known as the Rainbow Nation and that applies to our cuisine. It is a treasure trove of deliciousness waiting to be explored. Definitely try one of the following to blow your taste buds:
· Safari Wines – Visit the store to buy some of the most loved, as well as award winning wines SA has to offer. It makes for the perfect gift to take home to your family.
· Sleepers – A restaurant with historical value and Hoedspruit’s only train station. They offer over-sized, mouthwatering favorites. You can also visit their sister restaurant, 3 Bridges.
· Greater Kruger Hotel School – A true gem and the perfect place to learn more about cooking. They accept group bookings for authentic cooking classes.
For the “Explore the gems unknown”
It is an unwritten rule for travelers to always find the roads less travelled or lesser known gems to visit. It is usually these experiences that stay with you long after you have left. If this is what you are coming for, be sure to visit these places.
· Primos Gin & Citrus Tours – Brand new to the area and a MUST. Our town is one of the biggest exporters of Citrus in the world, and what better way to explore it than with a cold G&T in hand?
· 24 Degrees South – A quaint village like shopping experience where you can eat, buy & spa. Also heaven for classic car enthusiasts as they have quite the collection.
· Hoedspruit Hub – A beacon for social development in the community who offers a “Helping Hand” tour. Visit their community garden, pick your produce and create a delicious meal! Donations also welcome.
· Swadini Hiking – Nestled between the Drakensberg, this area offer some of the most stunning hiking trails that lead to crystal clear pools below soothing waterfalls.
For any enquiries on any of these activities and more, or call us ahead of your visit to give you some tips. We hope to see you again, soon!